The WMAHSN has celebrated the best of innovation in healthcare around the region by presenting its inaugural awards.
180 people from across the West Midlands’ NHS, industry, academia, third sector and patient population gathered at the University of Warwick for the WMAHSN’s very first Celebration of Innovation awards.
The awards ceremony was the centrepiece of the WMAHSN’s annual stakeholder event, which brought to life the 2015-16 Annual Report and showcased programmes supported and introduced by the WMAHSN over the past 12 months.
The awards were established to recognise and celebrate the work of individuals and organisations in developing better healthcare and increasing wealth for local people, and the ceremony provided an opportunity to celebrate achievements from across the West Midlands.
More than 80 entries were submitted across the eight categories, which were assessed by a panel of experts. The winners were:
- Clinical Trials and Evaluation Award - College of Medical and Dental Science, University of Birmingham
- Education and Skills Innovation Award - Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Royal Stoke University Hospital and Keele University
- Digital Health Innovation Award - Breaking Free Group, with U Assure Highly Commended
- Person-centred care Innovation Award - Prime GP, with Pathways 4 Life/St Giles Hospice and Nutshell Communications Ltd both Highly Commended
- Patient Safety Innovation Award - Wolverhampton Clinical Commissioning Group, with the University of Birmingham Highly Commended
- Wealth Creation Innovation Award - University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Innovative Organisation of the Year - Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit, with Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust and University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust all Highly Commended
- Innovator of the Year - Alan Press of Kimal Plc, with Dr Stephen Wanless of Birmingham City University and Hamid Zolfagharinia of Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust both Highly Commended.
The full details of all the winners, along with the judges’ comments, can be found in the Celebration of Innovation Award Winners Brochure.
All of the photos from the day can be found via this link, and you can also view the presentations and delegate brochure from the event.