West Midlands Health Informatics Network (WIN)
- Institute for Digital Health (IDH) at the University of Warwick
31 March 2014
A particular success story has been the West Midlands Health Informatics Network (WIN), a group of professionals and enthusiasts who are passionate about utilising digital technology to improve the provision of health and care. We collate relevant information and provide guidance on health informatics solutions for the benefit of stakeholders in the health and care arena. We facilitate discussion forums through social media, our website, workshops and conferences to discuss and disseminate what we have learnt around priority areas in health informatics. We will also be looking to support educational initiatives that will enhance health informatics knowledge and research programmes that will transform the delivery of health and care services.
Despite an initial surge in membership of clinicians and academics following the development of the network, growth decreased considerably. In order to address this, steps were taken to ensure that the reach of WIN extended beyond those initially deemed relevant:
- Widened geographic reach to include and individuals / organisations that may wish to do business within the West Midlands
- Increased industry engagement to include different forms of health provision
- Increased local authority engagement to address aspects of integrated health and care
- Development of public sector, industry and academic databases for targeted communications
- Updated Advisory Group terms of reference to incorporate multi-stakeholder representation
- Formalised policies and processes, with professional marketing material.
- A continually growing membership of 644 members as of December 2015
- A dedicated website with online discussion forums and events
- Active engagement from the informatics community across healthcare, academia and industry
- A health informatics educational needs assessment has been undertaken
- An elected advisory group now established
- Significant reputational benefits to WMAHSN by successful, well-attended regional events and presentation at national events, including EHI Live
- Over 250 attendances at WIN events in 2014/15: WIN National Conference in December 2014 with 81 delegates, WIN industry event in January 2015 with 78 delegates and 95-100 attendees at the November 2015 event
- Raised profile through membership and social media presence (Twitter, LinkedIn).
t: 02476 151341