Along with CURe, the West Midlands Query Tool is a set of tools to support research in specific clinical areas and engage frontline clinicians through integration with core IT systems.
The planned outcomes were to design, build and test a semantically aware West Midlands Query Tool that will enable easy authoring of distributed searches, using a controlled vocabulary and data standards repository.
- A sophisticated set of tools to support wider NHS engagement in research has been developed.
- Finalised scope of functionality based on literature reviews and evaluation of components.
- Integration of a sophisticated terminology service.
- Developed relationships with leading NHS clinical IT systems to promote the integration of research into mainstream NHS business processes.
- Readiness for practical feasibility study with one trial.
- The platform is now available to support regional research activity.
- West Midlands Query Tool will be available (through the Clinical Trials Theme) to accelerate participation in research activity across the West Midlands.
- Progress updates have been routinely shared between IDH, the WMAHSN digital theme and the WMAHSN Clinical Trials Advisory Group.
- The programme has successfully developed new modules for diabetes, obesity and oncology imaging and six organisations are taking part.
- West Midlands Query Tool is now ready for adoption, but it is becoming a crowded environment and along with CURe, it may well be that adoption of the two programmes lies with other vendors as part of a larger offer to the regional research community.
- 1,060 patients have benefited from the two programmes.
1. H. Dereli, L. Zhao, S. N. Lim Choi Keung, A. Asadipour, C. Golby, and T. N. Arvanitis, West Midlands Query Tool: Visual Query Building of Health Datasets, In Abstracts e-book of the 2014 West Midlands Health Informatics Network Conference, University of Warwick, Coventry: UK, p. 11, 2014.
Professor Theo Arvanitis
t: 024 7615 1691