Launched in June 2017, NHS England has developed the Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) 2018/19. The aim of the ITP is to help deliver on the commitment detailed within the Five Year Forward View, creating the conditions and cultural change necessary for proven innovations to be adopted faster and more systematically through the NHS, and to deliver examples into practice for demonstrable patient and population benefit. The application process is now open until 8 September 2017.
Successful innovation or technology themes will be identified through a competitive process and NHS England will then identify ways of supporting adoption of these across the NHS, for example through introducing a reimbursement for usage or centrally procuring items:
- The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and aims to support the NHS in adopting innovation by removing financial or procurement barriers to uptake of innovative products or technologies.
- It is a competitive process to identify innovations and technologies that will offer the greatest quality and efficiency benefits with wider adoption.
- The ITP is looking to support medical devices, digital platforms and technologies. The programme is not suitable for pharmaceutical products or research projects.
- We aim to select a range of cost effective innovations within our budgetary confines in order to have a wide-reaching impact on patient care, and maximise learning from the programme while fostering culture change.
- The ITP programme forms part of a wider set of activities to support innovation in the NHS, led by NHS England with the AHSNs.
- The ITP is specifically focussed on low cost innovations which can deliver significant patient outcomes and savings to the NHS.
- The programme will be delivered in partnership with the Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), sponsors, national and international experts.
- Applicants can be from healthcare, academia, commercial or voluntary sectors.
- The implementation of any agreed payment mechanism or procurement will be operational from April 2018.
- Day-to-day support and reporting will be via NHS England’s Innovation and Research Unit.
A suite of WebEx events was held over June and July. If you missed the sessions, you can watch a recording of the last one at ITP WebEx July 2017. There are two new WebEx events scheduled for 2pm on 16 and 21 August. Please use the following links:
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.